Marion T. Pope, Jr.
Judge Pope served in the Georgia House of Representatives from 1963–1965. On March 24, 1967, he was appointed Superior Court Judge to the Blue Ridge Judicial Circuit, where for 13 years he rode circuit through the counties of Cherokee, Forsyth, Pickens, Gilmer, and Fanning. In 1981, Governor George D. Busbee appointed him to the Court of Appeals of Georgia. Judge Pope served as Chief Judge of the Georgia Court of Appeals from 1993–1994 and retired in December of 2002, after serving with distinction for more than 20 years.
Judge Pope returned to the practice of law where he focuses on complex civil and appellate litigation and all types of personal injury cases.
Admitted to practice
- Georgia, 1953
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, 1998
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- The Tradition of Excellence Award by the State Bar of Georgia, (general practice and trial section), 1997
- The Phoenix Award by the Gridiron Secret Society, l999
- Citizen of the Year Award by the Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce, 2000
- One of the 100 most influential Georgians by the Georgia Trend Magazine, 2002
- University of Virginia, ML, 1988
- South Georgia College and University of Georgia, LLB, 1953
- South Georgia College and University of Georgia, BBA, 1950
- American Bar Foundation, fellow
- The Lawyers Club of Atlanta, member
- American Association for Justice
- The Gridiron Secret Society
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- The Old Guard of the Gate City Guard of Atlanta
- Chief Justice Commission on Professionalism
- Georgia Commission on Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Courts Study Commission, appointment by Lieutenant Governor Pierre Howard
- Justice Served Committee, chair
- Cherokee Federal Savings & Loan Association (currently Bank of North Georgia), one of original founders
- Bank of North Georgia, chairman of the board emeritus
- In 2003, Judge Pope was selected by Georgia Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine to mediate a multi-million dollar dispute between Promina and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia.
- He was appointed in 2004 to serve as the special master to the Fen-Phen diet drug class action litigation in Fulton County State Court. Judge Pope successfully presided over the cases until their conclusion in 2006.
- In 2008, Judge Pope was appointed to serve as special master in the Expedia litigation in Columbus, Georgia.
Contact Judge Pope
If you would like to discuss your personal injury or wrongful death case with Judge Pope, contact him today.