Jonathan A. Pope
You might think for a lawyer the hardest thing to ever do is face a jury. But for Jonathan Pope, it was facing a much larger mountain – literally. Pope and a group of friends climbed Washington State’s Mount Rainier in 2012, all 14,411 feet of it.
“It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but you learn so much about yourself when you do something like that,” Pope said. Like that you’re a bit of a thrill-seeker.
“I’ve always liked a challenge. The bigger the stakes, the better.”
Pope admits that’s probably one of the reasons he became a lawyer. That, and he likes to argue and enjoys trying cases. Jon focuses his trial practice at Hasty Pope on a wide range of personal injury matters, including wrongful death, catastrophic injuries, and automobile and tractor trailer collisions.
He and his brother Tom, a partner at Hasty Pope, grew up around law. Their father, Judge Marion T. Pope, of counsel at the firm and a former chief judge of the Georgia Court of Appeals, had them in courtrooms from the time they were very young.
Jon got his first direct experience in law at The Citadel as part of the honor court, the court system of the school. As a pre-law major, he acted as a defense lawyer for a friend.
“I brought in a handwriting expert. And then I recused the chairman of the honor court since he was also the provost who had collected evidence for the case,” Pope said. “That whole experience sealed it for me.”
After The Citadel, Pope earned his law degree from Georgia State University. Since then, he has been named to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers in 2013; recognized in Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers in 2012; named a Super Lawyer’s “Rising Star” in 2006, 2009, and 2010; named a Super Lawyer in 2013 and 2014; and recognized in Georgia Trend’s “Legal Elite” in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
But he still wants to do more. “We don’t want to be like everyone else, we want to do it better,” Pope said. “We’re constantly learning, and we want to be on the cutting edge.”
Pope said he and his firm are different because of the focus they put on the investigation of their cases and the time they spend helping their clients navigate the legal system.
“The legal system can be harsh,” Pope said. “We have compassion and we know people need guidance through this.”
Pope has tried more than 40 jury cases; he’s helped secure lifetime medical care for clients and monetary settlements to alleviate financial woes. But what keeps him going is getting results that truly change people’s lives.
“One client cried, it was so emotional for him,” Pope said. “He had been battling with a company on his own for 10 years, letter after letter. It was a true ‘David and Goliath’ moment.”
Admitted to practice
- Georgia, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, 1998
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Georgia Trend Magazine, named one of the Legal Elite, 2009, 2013, and 2015
- Atlanta Magazine (Superlawyers edition), Top 100 2014 and 2016, Super Lawyers 2006, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, and 2016
- Georgia Trend Magazine, named one of Georgia’s 40 under 40,2004
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, regional vice-president
- State Bar of Georgia-Blue Ridge Circuit Bar Association, two-term president
- Gainesville-Northeast Georgia Bar Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old Warhorse Lawyers Club
- Chief Justice Commission on Professionalism, member, 2006–2007
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education, trustee
- Cherokee County YMCA, board member, 1997
- Leadership Cherokee, graduate and former member steering committee
- Bank of North Georgia, advisory board, member
- State Bar of Georgia—Young Lawyers Division, executive committee member, 2005–2008 and president, 2006–2007
- Georgia Bar Foundation, fellow, past board member, 2006–2007
- Lawyers Foundation of Georgia
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
Contact Jonathan Pope
If you would like to discuss your auto accident or wrongful death case with Jonathan Pope, contact him today